Mark is a partner in the corporate team based in the firm’s London office. He has a broad corporate, commercial and projects practice.
Mark regularly acts on corporate acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures, reorganisations and private equity transactions, including setting up investment fund structures. He also undertakes a wide range of commercial work such as drafting agreements for the supply of goods and services, outsourcing and asset management agreements, as well as advising on international trade and the implementation of large scale projects.
A high proportion of the transactions Mark acts on have an international aspect to them. Mark is also very much at home working on transactions in the manufacturing or technology sector, as these play to his strength, having started his career in engineering at the Marconi Company. After spending a few years in engineering Mark was seconded to the commercial department to work on large scale communications projects and during this time he transitioned into commercial management. This opened up new horizons for him and led him to pursue a change of career into law. He completed his legal training and spent the formative years of his legal career at one of the magic circle firms.
Mark’s clients include entrepreneurs and family businesses, investors, shareholders and directors, major corporates and governments.
- Mark has recently completed the sale of a financial services company. The transaction stood out for its complex consideration structure with the purchase price paid partly in shares issued by the acquirer and partly in cash with a net asset adjustment based on completion accounts and an earn out mechanism.
- Earlier this year Mark completed the acquisition of a media group. There were over 30 shareholders and a similar number of loan note holders with four other firms of solicitors acting on the transaction. It was completed within five weeks of agreeing the heads of terms. In all there were over 130 different documents on the transaction.
- Mark has acted on multiple rounds of private equity funding for a social media company.
- Mark has drafted and negotiated a range of complex agreements for the supply and support of railway signalling systems around the world, including drafting or negotiating teaming agreements, development agreements, licensing agreements, framework agreements, supply agreements, distribution agreements and in connection with these agreements has advised on liabilities, warranties and indemnities, logistics support, escrow arrangements and the issue of all manner of bonds.
- Mark acted on setting up a contractual joint venture for the development and delivery of the next generation of railway signalling systems.
- Mark set up two corporate joint ventures for the launch of satellite broadcasting services.
- Mark acted on a contractual joint venture between a national broadcasting corporation, a national telecommunications company, system designer and set top box manufacturer for the digitization and meta tagging of a vast archive of material to provide a video on demand service.
- He has set up a number of investment funds to acquire, develop and hold real estate assets using limited partnership and limited liability partnership structures. The underlying assets have ranged from the development of new student accommodation to the development and refurbishment of major shopping centres.
- Mark acted on the restructuring or a leading software supplier with companies registered in 20 countries around the world. The restructuring required moving businesses around the group with corresponding share transfers, new share issues, repayment of loans and creating new loan agreements,transfers of employees between businesses and the assignment of contracts after obtaining all necessary banking and competition consents. Mark’s team also managed the overseas lawyers and liaised with the group’s accountants.
- He acted on a corporate joint venture between several leading Asian airlines coming together to offer an internet based travel portal.
- Mark has acted on the development of a number of power station projects around the world including solar farms, bio-digesters as well as more traditional coal and gas fired turbines.
- He drafted a complex outsourcing agreement for an insurance company providing outsourced claims handling services for another insurance company.
- Mark drafted the framework agreement for the development of a major international tourist resort including hotels, a golf course and water park, a heliport, a hospital, a power station together with related infrastructure.
Mark is a member of the Institute of Directors.