"I have worked with Stephen many times. He is quick to respond, clear in his analysis, proactive in his approach to resolving claims and, importantly, we find him pragmatic and easy to work with.
Chris Lee, Group Legal Director & Company Secretary, Savills PLC.
Stephen is a Consultant within the Guildford commercial dispute resolution and litigation team
. His main areas of practice involve commercial and contractual disputes including debt recovery. He has particular experience in acting for major multi-national real estate advisors as well as local property agents.
After starting his career as a litigation lawyer in Liverpool, Stephen spent 20 years working in the City and central London in commercial based practices. In 1999 he joined Callaghans, which merged with DMH Stallard in 2012.
His commercial practice has involved disputes involving advising Company Directors, shareholders, partnerships, franchisees and franchisors and helping clients generally who have business or commercially related legal issues that need to be resolved quickly, efficiently and economically. He also covers disputes involving Trade Mark and Passing Off and professional issues including negligence. He advises and acts for individual clients in certain practice areas including contentious probate and inheritance disputes.
Recent work examples
- Three separate and substantial six figure contractual disputes and claims including Offshore issues and two claims where action was taken to pierce the corporate veil and effect recovery from Directors.
- Advice regarding and Recovery of Agents’ fees on residential property transactions where contractual disputes included establishing the client was the effective cause of the ultimate transaction.
- Debt recovery under a flexible fee arrangement for a SME corporate client needing to enforce a complex contract with a multi-national corporation.
- Advising on and bringing an Unfair Prejudice Claim by an SME’s shareholder with a significant investment at stake.
- Acting for Liquidators in advising on and litigating to collect a portfolio of debts.
- Conducting the defences for Franchisees in litigation by the Franchisor over past and future potential payments claimed to be due.
- Acting in a substantial Inheritance and Property claim for an individual client.
- Advising a local business regarding Trade Mark and Passing Off when their name and trading style was copied by a competitor.
Stephen's memberships and associations
- Law Society
- Surrey Chamber of Commerce