If you’ve been left out of a will or you are unhappy with the nature of your inheritance you may wish to pursue a legal claim. At DMH Stallard in Brighton our team of contentious probate solicitors can offer practical and cost-effective advice on your prospects of success. If you decide to begin legal proceedings we’d be happy to represent you. Our firm offers you a great combination of the legal expertise that comes with being a large, nationally recognised firm and the personal approach that’s essential when dealing with disputes that raise deeply personal and acrimonious issues.
Our contentious probate solicitors in Brighton are always ready to help you when there’s an inheritance dispute. You could be a family member dissatisfied with the contents of a relative’s will or you might not have received the size of inheritance you were expecting and think you are entitled to more. Alternatively you may consult us in your capacity of executor (‘administrator’ if there is no will and you’re responsible for managing the estate) if you face some challenge from the family or other people connected with the deceased.
In all of these situations it’s important to get legal advice oat an early stage. If you delay you could find that the legal time limit for bringing a contentious probate claim has expired. To contact our contentious probate team in Brighton get in touch online
or by phone +44 (0)1273 329833
What is contentious probate?
When we talk about contentious probate we mean disputes that arise over the meaning of a will or that occur during the process of administering a deceased’s estate.
Wills and inheritance disputes are on the rise in Brighton for a number of reasons. These include family relationships that are more complex. Also relevant is the fact that when we die our estates are worth more because of rising house prices and other factors. Because there are tangible assets to target, disgruntled family members and individuals who were dependent on the deceased for financial support understandably feel justified in going down the route of legal proceedings. They’re more prepared to take the risk of falling out with family members and the prospect of shouldering significant legal costs.
What can our Brighton wills disputes lawyers do for you?
Our wills and inheritance dispute lawyers in Brighton deal with the full range of contentious probate matters, including:
- Disputes about the precise terms of a will
- Disagreements over the circumstances in which a will has been made. For example, was the deceased mentally capable of making a will?
- Claims that the value of an inheritance under a will or intestacy (that is, where there is no will) is inadequate
- So-called ‘proprietary estoppel’ claims where a promise made by the deceased is not reflected in the will
- Disputes based on allegations of negligence on the part of the solicitor who drafted the will.
- Claims based on the behaviour of trustees and executors, including applications to remove offending individuals
Trusts disputes lawyers in Brighton
Trusts can be set up under a will (‘will trusts’) or during your lifetime (lifetime trusts’). Essentially trusts are legal mechanisms that enable a trustee to look after and manage assets on behalf of the beneficiaries of a trust.
Our solicitors in Brighton advise on all aspects of trusts. This means that in addition to disputes over wills and inheritance we also assist individuals engaged in disputes about trusts. These may involve allegations that the trustees are not acting within the terms of the trust deed, disputes over the valuation of trust property and legal issues over the correct interpretation of the trust documents.
Why choose our Brighton contentious probate solicitors?
"DMH Stallard lawyers are straightforward and speak to us in a language we understand"
Chambers & Partners, 2021
More than many of the other areas of law we work in, contentious probate cases always have thepotential to exacerbate already strained family relationships. If not handled realistically costs can spiral out of control, depleting the value of the estate and in some cases vastly reducing the assets available to the beneficiaries.
There are many benefits of instructing the contentious probate solicitors at DMH Stallard in Brighton:
- You’ll receive advice from experienced practitioners, often from specialist partners
- Sensible and transparent pricing
- A service designed to fit your needs. No two clients are the same so it’s difficult to defend a one-size fits all approach when it comes to contentious probate advice
- We’re easy to work with, focusing on flexibility and clarity. We’ll appoint the team members who are the best fit for your needs to handle your case
- You can rely in our external reviews in legal directories like Chambers and the Legal 500
At the end of the day we know this is a sensitive area for most of our clients, many of whom will have recently lost a loved one. We’ll always handle your case appropriately – with integrity and respect.
Contact us in Brighton
You can contact our contentious probate team in Brighton online
or by phone on +44 (0)1273 329833
. We usually arrange virtual meeting for clients but are always happy to see people in person if that’s the preference. In Brighton we’re located just 10 minutes walk from the main train station. If you want to park there’s an NCP carpark opposite the office. Download a PDF version of our Brighton office map and directions.