DMH Stallard in Crawley advises individuals and families affected by disputes over wills and inheritance. Probate disputes raise sensitive matters so respecting your privacy and acting with discretion are key to our approach.
We’re a law firm with a national reach and reputation. Our solicitors in Crawley provide a personal service to people in the local area. But because of the depth of experience within the firm as a whole, the team also has access to substantial resources in terms of support staff and technical expertise. This backup enables the team to efficiently handle all types of probate dispute, from relatively minor disputes about the specific terms of a will to complex claims against multi-million pound estates.
Many clients come to us because a deceased relative has made a will without any legal advice, and it is invalid for some reason. Others are unhappy with the inheritance they are set to receive or are dissatisfied with the way executors are acting. We also act for personal representatives facing a challenge to their authority by family members or beneficiaries.
If you wish to contact our contentious probate team in Crawley you can do so online
or by phone on +44 (0)1293 605000
What is contentious probate?
Contentious probate is the area of law that relates to disputes arising over the meaning of a will or that occur during the process of administering a deceased’s estate.
Wills and inheritance disputes are on the rise in Crawley and across the country for a number of reasons. These include more complex family units and the fact that when we die our estates are worth more because of rising house prices and other factors. Because there are valuable, tangible assets to target, disgruntled family members and individuals who were dependent on the deceased for financial support understandably feel justified in going down the route of legal proceedings. They’re more prepared to take the risk of falling out with family members and the prospect of shouldering significant legal costs.
What can our Crawley wills disputs lawyers do for you?
Our wills and inheritance dispute lawyers in Crawley deal with the full range of contentious probate matters, including:
- Disputes about the terms of a will for example where the identity of a beneficiary is unclear
- Disagreements over the circumstances in which a will has been made, including where there are allegations of fraud
- Claims that the value of an inheritance under a will or intestacy (that is, where there is no will) is inadequate
- So-called ‘proprietary estoppel’ claims where a promise made by the deceased is not reflected in the will
- Disputes based on allegations of negligence on the part of the solicitor who drafted the will
- Claims based on the behaviour of trustees and executors, including applications to remove offending individuals
Trusts disputes lawyers in Crawley
Trusts can be set up under a will (‘will trusts’) or during your lifetime (lifetime trusts’). Essentially trusts are legal mechanisms that enable a trustee to look after and manage assets on behalf of the beneficiaries of a trust.
Our private client solicitors in Crawley advise on all aspects of trusts. This means that in addition to disputes over wills and inheritance we also assist individuals engaged in disputes about trusts. These may involve allegations that the trustees are not acting within the terms of the trust deed, disputes over the valuation of trust property and legal issues over the correct interpretation of the trust documents.
Why choose our Crawley contentious probate solicitors
More than many of the other areas of law we work in, contentious probate cases always have the potential to exacerbate already strained family relationships. If not handled realistically costs can spiral out of control, depleting the value of the estate and in some cases vastly reducing the assets available to the beneficiaries.
There are many benefits of instructing the contentious probate solicitors at DMH Stallard in Crawley:
- You’ll receive advice from experienced practitioners, often from specialist partners
- Sensible and transparent pricing
- A service designed to fit your needs. No two clients are the same so it’s difficult to defend a one-size fits all approach when it comes to contentious probate advice
- We’re easy to work with, focusing on flexibility and clarity. We’ll appoint the team members who are the best fit for your needs to handle your case
- You can rely in our external reviews in legal directories like Chambers and the Legal 500
At the end of the day we know this is a sensitive area for most of our clients, many of whom will have recently lost a loved one. We’ll always handle your case appropriately – with integrity and respect.
Contact us in Crawley
You can contact our contentious probate team in Crawley online
or by phone on +44 (0)1293 605000
. We usually arrange virtual meeting for clients but are always happy to see people in person if you prefer. We are situated in Crawley High Street, a short walk from Crawley train station. If coming by car we can arrange parking for you in advance. Gatwick airport is just 15 minutes away by train. Download a PDF version of our Gatwick office map and directions.