"Michael Derrick is one of that rare breed of hotshot lawyers who combines his probate expertise with a friendly manner and lawyer talk that you can understand, navigating you through the stressful and complex route of dealing with a loved one's death and the mountain of paperwork that comes with it."
"My thanks again for all your work on the trust and made my life as trustee very easy. It was good to work with you."
"Michael is the best in his field, I can only highly recommend him."
Michael is a Partner and Head of the Guildford private client department. His practice focuses on estate administration, wills, trust administration and Court of Protection work.
With over 15 years’ experience Michael ensures that his clients, both new and returning, are given the best possible advice and service.
Michael’s approach to each client, particularly those who are dealing with stressful and sensitive matters, is to deliver advice in a way that calms their initial worries while ensuring that such advice achieves the client’s objectives.
Michael’s particular expertise is in the administration of both simple and complex estates, and of high value and intestate estates.
He also advises on and drafts wills (mirror wills, life interest wills and discretionary trust wills), inheritance tax planning, trust administration, powers of attorney (general, lasting and trustee), receivership applications and other Court of Protection applications.
Michael qualified as a solicitor in 2004.
Recent work examples
- Administration of high value intestate estate after the sudden and unexpected death of testator involving employment benefits and assets in the Middle East
- Advising on new wills, IHT planning and asset protection in anticipation of second marriage including the use of a series of trusts
- Successfully claimed the transfer of Inheritance Tax Allowance from an estate where the late husband of the deceased died in 1946
- Administered a high value estate with national Charities as Residuary Beneficiaries so as to include dealing with the requirements of s119 of the Charities Act
- Advised clients on the formal requirements of the law applicable under the HCCH convention on the conflicts of laws relating to the form of testamentary dispositions 1961 (Hague Testamentary Dispositions Convention)
Michael's memberships and associations
- The Law Society
- Affiliated member of STEP, with an advanced certificate in the adminstration of estates