What they say
"He's very clever and his judgement of a case is always spot on."
Chambers and Partners UK 2021
Simon is a Partner and the Head of Dispute Resolution, which also includes the firm’s Debt Recovery, Insolvency and Personal Injury practices.
Simon has an established practice and significant following and he is known for dealing with large scale, complex corporate and commercial disputes with particular expertise in the insurance and banking sectors.
He regularly advises on matters involving breach of contract and breach of duty, professional negligence, director, shareholder and partnership disputes, defamation, commercial and corporate fraud and judicial review.
Recognised as one of the foremost litigation lawyers in the South of England, Simon is recommended in Chambers & Partners with sources praising his “pragmatism and flexibility,"
and the "sensible and commercial approach"
he takes. He is also praised in Legal 500: "Simon Elcock has excellent client handling skills, is very good strategically and is able to see the big picture with cases."
His private sector clients include a number of the UK’s leading banks, such as The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc, as well as other significant companies including Real Estate Advisory & Property Management UK Ltd (formerly Strutt & Parker LLP), and BDO LLP. His public sector clients include a number of universities and unitary authorities.
Simon is an Accredited Mediator with the Centre for Dispute Resolution (CEDR) and is experienced in and an advocate of all recognised forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution ("ADR")
Simon qualified as a solicitor in 1997, having trained with the firm after spending the initial part of his career in the hospitality industry, and became a Partner in July 2001.
- Acting for a retired TUI Airlines pilot in a judicial review brought against the Civil Aviation Authority regarding his forced retirement on grounds of age. The case was widely reported in the media.
- Acting for a major international bank in a dispute with a high profile individual in the arts world in relation to an alleged fraud worth up to £85 million.
- Defending claims brought against well known educational establishments and public sector bodies involving issues around alleged breach of duty, discrimination and defamation.
- Acting both for and against insurance companies in a wide range of claims, often in relation to the enforcement of policy terms.
Simon's memberships and associations
- Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution – Accredited Mediator