Personal Immigration

Why choose DMH Stallard for your personal immigration needs?

Our immigration team at DMH Stallard is recognised for its genuine expertise in navigating the UK’s complex Immigration system effectively. We pride ourselves on our highly responsive and personal approach. The team has a reputation for delivering outcomes-focused guidance and effective solutions having taken the time to consider the unique circumstances of each individual.

We are experts in longer term planning for complex personal circumstances involving individuals and their families, whilst at the same time being available as and when required to help with issues that require our urgent attention. 

It is imperative that our client’s fully understand all of the options available to them. We ensure that our Immigration team work closely with other core departments, including family, private client and property to provide an integrated and collaborative service that can guide you through a whole spectrum of needs; including relocating the family, advising on estate planning, and structuring personal affairs (such as trust arrangements).

Services - how can our personal immigration team help?

Life’s circumstances are not always easily categorised, and we recognise that choosing the right visa for you and assessing your eligibility can be both time-consuming and stressful.

Whether you are looking to gain entry to the UK or you are at risk of losing the right to remain in the UK, our specialist immigration team have a vast amount of experience in advising people in a wide range of situations.

For work

Tier 1 Visa UK – for investors, start-ups and innovators

The Tier 1 visa route is aimed at high-value migrants such as investors and entrepreneurs who have funds available to set up or invest in a business in the UK, graduates with an endorsed business plan, and those deemed to have exceptional talent within their field of expertise.  As such, the visas making up the Tier 1 immigration route offer relatively favourable terms and eligibility requirements compared to other routes.

Investor Visa

If you have disposable funds of at least £2,000,000.00 to invest in the UK, and meet the eligibility criteria, we can assist you in obtaining a UK Investor visa.

Important note
From 4:00pm on 17 February 2022, the Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant route closed to all new initial applications for entry clearance or leave to remain. This includes no longer being able to switch into this route from other routes.
Any application for initial entry clearance or leave to remain made on or after 4:00pm on the 17 February 2022 will be considered void and any fees will be refunded.
All applicants for entry clearance must have leave as a Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant on, or must have had such leave within the last 12 months immediately before, the date of application. The application must be made before 17 February 2026. Entry clearance will be granted for a period of two years.
Applicants for leave to remain must have, or have last had entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain as a Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant (in the 12 months immediately before the date of application). The application must be made before 17 February 2026. Entry clearance will be granted for a period of two years.
Applications for settlement (indefinite leave to remain) must be made before 17 February 2028.

Start-up Visa

The Start-up visa is open to graduates and non-graduates who can demonstrate high potential, and want to set up their first business in the UK.
Before you apply for a visa you need to have your business idea assessed by an endorsing body. They will provide you with an endorsement letter if they assess your business to be viable. However, there is no requirement to show investment funds as part of your application.

Innovator Visa

If you are more experienced in business and have investment funds of £50,000, together with a business idea that is innovative and different from anything else on the market with the potential of growth, you may be eligible for an Innovator Visa.

Skilled Worker Visa UK

Skilled worker visas are the main visa route for those wishing to work in the UK. If the role you are offered meets the job suitability requirements you can make an application for a Skilled Worker Visa for up to five years under this route. Additionally, this route can lead to settlement after a qualifying period. 

Once you have secured a job offer to work in the UK, you still need to ensure you will secure a visa to take up the employment. In many cases your employer will leave this to you and any offer of employment will be subject to
obtaining the visa.

Your eligible family members can join you as dependants for the duration of your visa. They can make an application to enter the UK at the same time as you or at a later stage.

Global Talent Visa UK

If you are recognised in your field as a leader or potential leader you can apply for a Global Talent visa to work in the UK in one of the following fields: 
  • Academia or Research
  • Arts and Culture
  • Digital Technology
Our experienced team can help you with assessing your eligibility and can assist you with making an application.

Intra-Company Transfer Visas

An Intra-Company Visa (ICT) visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job at your employer’s UK Branch. This route has fewer and differing requirements to the skilled worker Route. This visa type is not eligible for settlement but under the Immigration Rules an ICT visa holder now apply to ‘switch’ into a Skilled Worker visa at a later stage without having to leave the UK. You can then work towards settlement as a Skilled Worker.

Your eligible family members can join you as dependants for the duration of your visa, and can make an application to enter the UK at the same time as you or at a later stage.

For studies

UK Student Visas

If you are considering moving to the UK to embark on a course of education here you will require the educational institution to sponsor you to study in the UK on an eligible course of studies.

Student visa (those aged over 16) 

Once you have secured a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from an appropriate college or university, we can help you secure a student visa. 

The application can be made up to three months before your course of study is due to start. The visa will be granted for the duration of the course and extension applications can be granted if the circumstances warrant it. For example, if you change your course of study, or you have to retake examinations.  

Child student (those aged 4-16)

If you are looking to offer your child an education at an independent school in the UK we can offer our services in securing a visa once you have selected the school of your choice. 

Additionally, if you are a parent wishing to accompany your child and stay in the UK with them, we can assist you in applying for a Parent of a Child Student visa. 

Short Term Study Visa 

It is possible to come to the UK to study an English language course, with a Short-term study visa. This visa is for English language courses lasting longer than six months and no more than 11 months. 

Graduate Visas

Open to international students since July 2021, a Graduate visa gives eligible students permission to stay in the UK for at least two years after successfully completing a qualify course in the UK. This visa will allow individuals to work in a broad range of employment types without the need for employer visa sponsorship, and allows you to switch into the Skilled Worker category with employer sponsorship if you remain working in the UK for the longer term.  

The DMH Stallard Immigration team can assist you in assessing your eligibility for a Graduate visa and with securing the visa for your post-study employment in the UK.

For your family

Family Visas

You will require a family visa if you wish to be in the UK with a family member for more than six months. You can apply for a family visa to live with your:
  • Spouse or partner
  • FiancĂ©, fiancĂ©e or proposed civil partner
  • Child
  • Parent
  • Relative who will provide long-term care for you
All routes have varying eligibility requirements and exemptions depending on your circumstances.

In certain cases, you can switch to this visa category from a different UK visa category whilst in the UK, which can be done any time before your current permission to stay in the UK expires.

Domestic violence concession 

We offer support and guidance for individuals that have been the victims of domestic violence and face the prospect of losing the right to remain in the UK due to relationship breakdown.

Complimenting the family law team, we can provide you with support and guidance if your divorce matter raises concerns and uncertainly about your right to remain in the UK under a spouse visa that may be dependent on your partner.

If you have been the victim of domestic violence, we can assist you with assessing your eligibility to regulate your stay in these circumstances by relying on the domestic violence concession. 

In certain circumstances you may be able to apply for an exemption in relation to the fees for submitting such an application.

For visits

Visitor Visas

Usually, you can visit and stay in the UK for up to six months as a Standard Visitor for tourism, for business (in respect of certain ‘permitted activities’), for study (courses up to six months) and other approved activities. You might be able to apply to stay for longer in certain circumstances, for example to get medical treatment.

For visitors from non-visa national countries, you may wish to simply understand the evidential requirements for this route, so that if you are questioned by a border control officer when seeking entry to the UK, you are equipped to answer any queries and provide the appropriate supporting documentation. For those who are visa nationals we can advise and assist on the visa application process that must be made before you travel.

Our immigration team can help you to understand what activities are permitted as a visitor and the appropriate routes available, so that you can be confident you are entering the UK, or making an application to enter, under the right category and you remain in compliance with UK immigration rules throughout your stay.

For making the UK your home

EU & EEA - Pre Settled and Settled Status, Family Permits and Complex EU Applications

The deadline for applying for pre settled status or settled status was 30 June 2021. You can still apply if that deadline did not apply to you or you have reasonable grounds for why you have not yet applied.

If you are currently living and working in the UK you may have regulated your immigration status and may now require assistance with bringing your family members over to join you.

Indefinite Leave to Remain UK 

Many visa routes in the UK lead to settlement if you meet the associated eligibility requirements. In other cases time spent in a variety of visa categories can be accumulated to allow you to settle after 10 years in the UK (known as the "long residence" route to settlement.)

Our specialist immigration team can assess your eligibility for settlement and can help you plan your immigration status and travel arrangements, pursuant to your long-term goal of obtaining Indefinite leave to remain.


British citizenship and registration applications

Obtaining citizenship can provide a number of advantages, including:
  • The right to obtain a British passport
  • The right to live and work in the UK free from immigration control 
  • The right to vote
  • Significantly greater protection against removal from the UK in the event of the commission of a criminal offence

There are different ways to apply for British Citizenship based on your circumstances.


This is the process of being granted British citizenship by satisfying certain eligibility criteria. If you have settled status, permanent residence, or Indefinite leave to remain, you may be eligible to Naturalise and to make an application to become a British Citizen. 


Many people are eligible to register for British citizenship including, for example, the children of a British parent, if you have another type of British Nationality or persons who have formerly given up their British citizenship. Registration can be a more straight forward and cost-effective process, particularly for children.  

The DMH Stallard Immigration team are very experienced in assisting with British Citizenship applications and can help you with assessing your eligibility and making an application.

Human rights applications and applications outside the rules

Your personal circumstances may be complex and require specialist advice to evaluate applications for leave outside of the Immigration Rules and/or on a human rights basis.
  • Request that the Home Office exercise its discretion to grant leave outside of the Immigration Rules
  • Request that the Home Office grants leave outside of the Rules in line with a published concession
  • Allege that the refusal and/or, in the case of leave to remain applications, the removal of a person consequent to the decision, would breach their rights under art 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights 1950

Appeals, reconsiderations and judicial reviews

Visa applications can, of course, be refused. Sometimes it is not due to your ineligibility for a particular route but simply because you have fallen foul of the complex immigration rules and guidance, or caseworker error.

You may have received insufficient support with your application or your previous immigration history may have had an impact on your application. Our team can evaluate the merits of your original application and advise on the best course of action. Working closely with specialist immigration barristers, we can take you through the appeals process and can handle matters in the First Tier Tribunal through to the Court of Appeal.

Contact us

If you would like to subscribe to our mailing list to receive regular updates on immigration law issues, please click here

For an initial discussion about how our personal immigration lawyers can help you and your family, please complete the form and we will contact you.

Are you already in the UK?:

Preferred Method of Contact:


Key Contacts

Adam Williams
Alexei Zuyev

Adam Williams

Business immigration/employment law expert advising organisations and senior executives

Email Adam
View Adam's Profile

Alexei Zuyev

Senior Associate
Advises on UK immigration matters with particular focus on work-related immigration routes, right to work and compliance

Email Alexei
View Alexei's Profile

Further reading

The Government's five-point plan to reduce net migration

On 4 December 2023 the UK Home Office announced several radical changes to the immigration rules
Read more Read

UK Immigration fees to surge in October

Legal Updates, News & PR
Prepare for significant changes in UK immigration and nationality fees as they are set to soar from October 4th, 2023. The UK government has introduced these fee revisions through recent legislation in Parliament, which will affect various aspects of immigration services.
Read more Read

Home Office's summer 2023 Immigration overhaul - A comprehensive overview

Legal Updates, News & PR
In separate statements made over the summer months the Home Office announced a number of changes affecting migrants and, potentially, their UK employers as well.
Read more Read

Globalisation - Working without international borders

Globalization and international recruitment are increasingly important in today's business landscape. As labour markets tighten and free movement ends, employers are forced to face the challenge and harness the benefits of recruiting from overseas.
Read more Read
  • Brighton - Jubilee St

    1 Jubilee Street


    East Sussex

    BN1 1GE

  • Brighton - Old Steine

    47 Old Steine


    East Sussex

    BN1 1NW

  • Gatwick

    Griffin House

    135 High Street


    West Sussex

    RH10 1DQ

  • Guildford

    Wonersh House

    The Guildway

    Old Portsmouth Road



    GU3 1LR

  • Hassocks

    32 Keymer Road


    West Sussex

    BN6 8AL

  • Horsham

    3rd Floor

    Afon Building

    Worthing Road


    West Sussex

    RH12 1TL

  • London

    6 New Street Square

    New Fetter Lane


    EC4A 3BF

  • Make an enquiry

    Make an enquiry


    Or head to our Contact us page